Use this online mic test to check if your microphone is properly set up.
Need to test your microphone for Skype calls, Google voice chat, or anything else?
Not sure if your microphone is working?
Check it in your browser with this quick online test.If this is the first time you’re here, your browser will ask you if you allow this site access to your microphone.
you will see this question somewhere on your screen, usually near the address bar and back button.
Allow it. You should then see a line in the red box.
- In some cases you will not see a line before making a relatively loud sound into the microphone. Try that and see if the line appears.
- Reload the page and try again, in many cases that solves it.
- If nothing helped please check if your microphone is connected.
If the line is moving when you talk into the microphone then the result of the test is that your microphone is working and properly configured!
If you don’t see a line, please click on the the link above that says: “If you don’t see a line…”.
If you do see a line but it isn’t moving, then your mic is either broken/not-working or (much more likely) it’s not properly setup.
If that’s the case, before you go checking the microphone settings in your operating system,
How To Change Mic Settings in Windows 10 (external website)
How To Change Mic Settings in Windows 7
How To Change Mic Settings in Windows Vista
How To Change Mic Settings in Windows XP
How To Change Mic Settings in Mac OS X
How To Change Mic Settings in Ubuntu (Linux)
- If you’re using Safari as your web browser you’ll need to try a different test.
- Check that your microphone is connected to the correct (normally pink) socket in your computer.If it’s a mic with a USB connector just make sure it is properly connected to the USB socket (you will not use the pink microphone socket in this case).
- Check that your microphone is not muted – sometimes the mic has a mute button on it or on the wire that is connected to it.
- Check that the volume on the microphone is not turned all the way down.
If you’re sure your microphone is not working anymore, check out our recommendations page to buy a new one.