Check if your speakers are connected and working with this test
- Not sure if your speakers are OK?
- Want to check if you can hear stereo (two different audio channels, one coming from the left speaker and one from the right)? Use this sound test to quickly find out, without leaving the browser.
- Click on the left-facing arrow to play a tone through your left speaker, and click on the right-facing arrow to play a tone through your right speaker.
If the test is successful but there's still a problem with a specific program or website, check these specific guides: (If not, scroll down for general solutions)
What to do if the sound test failed – if you’re not getting any sound through your speakers?
- Make sure that your speakers are connected to electricity and powered on.
- Make sure that the speakers are connected to the back of your computer – to the green jack.
- Check that volume in your operating system isn’t turned all the way down, and if you have a laptop – that the volume on your laptop (it should be set by a physical button) isn’t turned all the way down. In fact, turn the volume all the way up just for checking: your speakers might be working but playing weak sound.
- Make sure that the correct playback device is enabled in your operating system. The operating system might be trying to play the test audio through a different device or jack.
What to do if you’re only hearing one channel of audio instead of stereo (e.g. when you click on one of the arrows you hear sound but when you click on the other arrow you hear nothing)?
- Make sure that your speakers are connected to each other. In some speaker models one of the speakers connects to the back of the computer, and you need to connect the second speaker to link to the first one by yourself.
What to do if all the testing failed, and after trying all the tips on this page you're still getting nothing audible?
- If you tried all the advice on this page and nothing worked, the problem might be with your audio driver. Try to search for the latest drivers for the card that you have. Here are a few links to common sound card download pages. If your sound card company does not appear among these links, try using a search engine to look for "NAME OF COMPANY sound card driver".
The audio sample used in this test was created by: