Check if your speakers are connected and working with this test
- Not sure if your speakers are OK?
- Want to check if you can hear stereo (two different sound channels, one coming from the left speaker and one from the right)? Use this test to quickly find out, without leaving the browser.
- Click on the left-facing arrow to play sound through your left speaker, and click on the right-facing arrow to play sound through your right speaker.
What to do if the test failed – if you’re not getting any sound through your speakers?
- If you're using Safari as your web browser you'll need to try a different test.
- Make sure that your speakers are connected to electricity and powered on.
- Make sure that the speakers are connected to the back of your computer – to the green jack.
- Check that volume in your operating system isn’t turned all the way down, and if you have a laptop – that the volume on your laptop (it should be set by a physical button) isn’t turned all the way down. In fact, turn the volume all the way up just for checking: your speakers might be working but weak.
- Make sure that the correct playback device is enabled in your operating system. The operating system might be trying to play the sound through a different device or jack.
What to do if you’re only hearing one channel of audio (e.g. when you click on one of the arrows you hear sound but when you click on the other arrow you hear nothing)?
- Make sure that your speakers are connected to each other. In some speaker models one of the speakers connects to the back of the computer, and you need to connect the second speaker to the first by yourself.
The sound sample used in the test on this page was created by: