Use this online test to check if your web camera is working and properly set up.
If you are trying to use your webcam for video chat, IM, or for recording yourself – with no success, or if you want to know how many frames per second your camera is recording:
Here’s a quick and easy web cam test, no need to leave the browser.
“How to test my webcam?”
If this is the first time you’re here, your browser will ask you if you allow this site access to your webcam.
You should see this question near the browser’s address bar and back button. After you allow wait a few seconds, and then you should see yourself (or whatever your camera is pointed at right now), plus some numbers on the side indicating the number of FPS (Frames Per Second) that are recorded.
If you see yourself and the FPS count, then, hooray – your camera passed the test.
If you don’t see anything after confirming the browser message (if you had one) then your camera hasn’t passed the test and there’s a problem.
If your web camera didn’t pass the test, here are some things you should check:
- If you’re using Safari as your web browser you’ll need to try a different test.
- Check that the webcam is connected to the USB socket.
- If it IS already connected, try disconnecting it and connecting it again.
You should see something pop up on your computer screen, or hear a sound, when you connect the webcam again.
- Some webcam models have an “ON/OFF” switch – make sure that if yours has one – it is set to “ON”.
- Try downloading the latest drivers for your webcam. Search the box or the camera itself for the
name/number of the model, and then search google for “NAME OF MODEL driver”. That should take you
to a page where you can download and install new drivers.