Use this online mic test to check if your microphone is properly set up.
Need to test your microphone for Skype calls, Google voice chat, or anything else?
Not sure if your microphone is working?
Here’s a quick online test for it.
Click “Allow” inside the red box, and then you should see a line.If you don't see a line after clicking 'Allow' please click here.
Check if somewhere near the browser’s address bar on the top of the screen you see a message that asks you if you allow the site to have access to your microphone.
If there is such a message, confirm that you allow access and then check if you see a line again.
- In some cases you will not see a line before making a relatively loud sound into the microphone. Try that and see if the line appears.
If you still don’t see a line right-click inside the red box and choose ‘Settings…’.
In the little window that opens up click on the microphone icon, and then in the dropdown menu go through every option – while trying to talk into the microphone after every change – until you find the option where the volume changes when you talk.
When you find that option click “close” and then you should be able to see the microphone test line moving. (this explanation is true for Windows users. If you are using another OS you will need to find your flash settings and in them do the same thing).
- If nothing helped please check if your microphone is connected.
If the line is moving when you talk into the microphone then the result of the test is that your microphone is working and properly configured!If you don’t see a line, please click on the the link that says: “If you don’t see a line…” just above or to the right from the red box.
If you do see a line but it isn’t moving, then your mic is either broken/not-working or (much more likely) it’s not properly setup.
If that’s the case, before you go checking the microphone settings in your operating system,
How To Change Mic Settings in Windows 7
How To Change Mic Settings in Windows Vista
How To Change Mic Settings in Windows XP
How To Change Mic Settings in Mac OS X
How To Change Mic Settings in Ubuntu (Linux)
- Check that your microphone is connected to the correct (normally pink) socket in your computer.If it’s a mic with a USB connector just make sure it is properly connected to the USB socket (you will not use the pink microphone socket in this case).
- Check that your microphone is not muted – sometimes the mic has a mute button on it or on the wire that is connected to it.
- Check that the volume on the microphone is not turned all the way down.